Saturday, October 15, 2011

Which eReader should I buy?

I often get asked which eReader is best for downloadLibrary. I've been lucky enough to have experience using a number of different readers here at the library.  Most of them have certain features that I like - and some have features that I'm not so keen on. It is really quite a personal choice - just like choosing which book you are going to read.


Some features you may want to consider include:

  • weight
  • back-lighting
  • ability to adjust text size
  • battery life
  • memory size
  • what files are playable. Does the reader also allow for audio?
  • does it support DRM files - this is a must for downloadLibrary ebooks
  • web browsing capabilities
  • price

But probably the important thing to consider when looking into purchasing an eReader to use with  downloadLibrary is to ensure that it is on the compatible reader list for Overdrive. It's also important to check the incompatible device list. Now not all ebook readers have been tested - new devices are being put on the market daily - but Overdrive is doing the best they can.   
You can also call the library and ask - we are more than happy to help!
~Krista, Information Technology Development Librarian

1 comment:

  1. I have the iPad and it works great with downloading books. It's light, the battery life is more than enough to get me through. It's a bit more expensive but it has also replaced my laptop. It has great sound for audio books and great picture quality for children's books or cookbooks. It's easy to adjust the size of the lettering and has a night format. I would never get anything else. Love it!

    ReplyDelete